What is the best way to prepare kids for high school and make the move less daunting for them – and you, their parents and caregivers?
Sometimes parents think that when their child goes to high school they need to take a step back but teachers involved in the transition say it is more about a change of focus.
Here are some tips:
- In Year 5 start thinking about which high school your child should attend.
- Help them become more responsible by encouraging independence and responsibility.
- Get into a homework and study routine.
- Put their school timetable somewhere obvious – like the fridge door.
- Meet your child's high school Year 7 adviser and tell them if you have any concerns.
- Stay interested and involved in your child's high school life – they still need you.
Watch this video from the School A to Z website featuring advice from teachers about how to make the less daunting.